Approximately 20 years ago a group of teachers gathered to discuss and collectively decide what course of action they would take regarding the education of their children. These parents knew that their children needed a Christian upbringing while realizing that their daily schooling played an integral part in this development.
They realized there were many families who struggled with this same dilemma of finding an affordable school with a biblical worldview. They came up with an idea that included sending a child to school for only 2-3 days of the week and teaching the parent to homeschool for the other days. In the beginning they were skeptical and often found themselves asking, “Who would come to such a school!?”
God had the purpose already planted in their hearts and before long the first school sprang up in Rancho San Diego known as Heartland Christian Homeschool Center. It was a success as parents became confident about teaching their children when they had the help of a teacher and a place to go for advice when things became difficult.
Venture Christian Grade School began in 1996 when Foothills Christian Church duplicated the same approach that had been so successful at Heartland for the families of East County. The response was so great that a high school under the same name was established in 1997. The high school is currently operating in Fletcher Hills, El Cajon.
The schools’ name changed to Foothills Christian Grade School and Foothills Christian High School in the fall of 2006. Then in the spring of 2011, Foothills Christian Church felt the need to expand the elementary school, providing the opportunity for more families to educate their children in a Christian environment. Through this expansion, Foothills Christian Junior High was established. Beginning 2014-2015, the junior high, will now become Foothills Christian Middle School residing on the same campus as Foothills Christian Church, in El Cajon, California.
Foothills Christian Schools are a ministry of Foothills Christian Church in El Cajon, California. Pastor Dave Hoffman is the superintendent of the schools. Foothills Christian Middle School core subject teachers all have college degrees, some with credentials from the State of California. We believe God has gifted and appointed our staff to team with the parents to successfully educate their children. The governing board of directors at Foothills Church serves as the Foothills Christian School Board of Directors as well. The acting principal of the school, however, has the authority for making daily decisions regarding the needs of the school.
The mission of Foothills Christian Schools is to advance the kingdom of Jesus Christ by providing a loving school environment in which parents and educators work together to bring children to maturity in areas of discernment, wisdom, and intelligence.
The purpose of Foothills Christian Middle School is:
- To work with parents to train their children in a Christian world view as a foundation for education, and to protect the God given right of parents to direct the education and training of their children.
- To provide a Christian outlet for the social needs of children in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades.
- To equip parents to take an active role in their child’s education and work with them to ensure a highly rewarding experience for both.
We have a campus which resembles a traditional school. At our current location, students congregate for classes and fellowship on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then home school on Monday and Friday. Parents stay closely involved by sharing in the teaching, yet enjoy the support and insight of dedicated Christian educators.
Statement of Faith
1. There is one God, existing eternally in three Persons; The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
2. Jesus Christ is true God and true Man, conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross as a substitutionary sacrifice, and all who believe in Him are justified because of His shed blood. He rose from the dead according to the Scriptures, and will come again with His angels and His saints to establish His kingdom on earth.
3. There shall be bodily resurrection for the just and unjust. For the former, a resurrection until life, for the latter, a resurrection unto judgment.
4. The Old and New Test are inerrant as originally given, and are the only rule for Christian faith and practice.
5. Sin has separated man from God, resulting in both physical and spiritual death. Man can only be saved through the atoning work of the Lord Jesus Christ. Salvation has been provided through Jesus Christ for all men who repent and believe in Him and are born again of the Holy Spirit, thereby receiving the gift of eternal life.
6. Each believer receives the Holy Spirit at conversion, but we also believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which brings power to the believer for daily sanctified living and for the powerful manifestation of the spiritual gifts. This infilling of the Holy Spirit is not a one-time event, but is repeatable throughout the believer’s life.
7. The Church consists of all those who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, are redeemed through His blood, and are born again of the Holy Spirit.